I make video (-installation), performances and drawings. Or whatever suits my concept.
I'm searching for 'the alternative' in society and am interested in the social rules or conventions in mass culture and the influence they have on the individual within capitalist repression. While looking at how 'the alternative' reacts on those conventions and observes how they work, I also look at how these conventions influence my own art practice. Playing with what is seen as cultural elements, integrating in the so called alternative, the alternative mixing with popular culture. From squatting and it's autonomous communities, the wild spaces to the performative language, sound and queer bodies. The element of failure becomes a future prospect.
I get energized by the theory of the philosopher Foucault ; 'Heterotopia' and applying queer- and decolonization theory upon that ; spaces that are created by the failure of society and apply different rules on social standards. These spaces are not neutral, or untouched, they are just as well infiltrated with the patriarchal structures of the society outside of that space. Exhausted. Are conventions changeable by counter action? What does counter action actually mean within these borderland spaces and from which position comes the action? What do these multiverse realities do within who's society? How do my body interfere by questioning the idea of linear time?
Are these alternative places also influenced by it's surroundings and the other way around? By researching these unwritten rules and who made them, I am approaching 'the artist' as a role that can be staged or played and can be stepped in and out of with performative actions. My practice consists of different media, the form will follow the concept. Performances and installations are often centered around the manipulation of video material and sound to explore the antifascist dance floor and non-linear time (travel).
I work primarily in Haarlem and The Hague and am part of The Holls Collective.
- Dutch Art Institute, (DAI, Master), 2018 - current
Koninklijke Academie van Beeldende Kunsten The Hague (Royal Academy of Arts) 2008 - 2012 - Graduated
Graphic design 2007 - 2008 Koninklijke Academie van Beeldende Kunsten (Royal Academy of Arts)
Basic pre-year, Koninklijke Academie van Beeldende Kunsten (Royal Academy of Arts) 2006-2007
Havo 2001 - 2006 - Graduated
- PR and Communication at Nieuwe Vide Artspace and Studio's, nov 1 2015 - current.
- Identity Houtnacht / Graphic design publicity Houtfestival, 2019
- Course Music & Society by Universiteit Leiden, 2017
- Workshop given by me, in collaboration with Ecosol, De nieuwe Werf, Shamba Lion Soundsystem and Houtnacht/Houtfestival. Ecosol is a place where day activities provided for people with a mental challenge or addiction or people who serve out their community service sentence.
- Residency program/exhibition at Surface Arts, Chiang Mai, Thailand, July.
- Masterclass 3D-print Oct 2014 - April 2015
- Boardmember at Nieuwe Vide Artspace, artist initiative/artspace Haarlem, 2013 - 2015
- Comittee member/jury for new members at Nieuwe Vide Artspace, artist initiative Haarlem, 2012 - current.
- Co-founder and member The Holls Collective - art collective together with artists : Lotte Pet, Dora Benyo, Machteld Rullens, Katinka van Gorkum, Pia Louwerens, Josje Hattink, Lisanne Ackermann. 2013 - current.
- Courses and teaching, Nieuwe Vide Artspace / on location 2013 - current
- Lectures about own practice 'Art and Identity', students of CMV at Het Gemak, art initiative, The Hague, 2013
- Finance and subsidy coordination, 'Groenlicht' exhibition 2011-2012
- Co-founder and volunteer at Give Away Shop Haarlem, 2006 - 2015
Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Indesign,Adobe Illustrator, Final Cut,Adobe After effects,
Marketing/PR, social media
Basic 3D modelling / printing
Stroom Spot subsidy
2018 Trying out questioning what's being good / A more antifascist dancefloor concept / interview snippets on repatriation. Artez, Arnhem, Kitchen presentation, Dutch Art Institute, November
2018 FRANKENSTEIN, curated by Annelien Kers, Kers Gallery. Joep van Lieshout, Floris Kaayk, Koen VanMechelen, Jonas Ohlson, Nathaniel Mellors. End of April.
2017 Parksessies, screening of ‘JOJJE’ ; together with a video by Katinka van Gorkum, Haarlem
2017 Stadskunstkamer Gemeente Haarlem, solo presentation ; ‘Ik heb de ruimte nodig / Reinventing or redefining spaces. + meeting/talk with councillor of culture Haarlem.
2016 LUW, group exhibition, 37PK, several works Platform voor de Kunsten, Haarlem
2016 BYOB @ Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam, Sept 2nd, Video : Value Added#2 and new work of The Holls Collective
2016 Working period / film project at The Helena, Den Haag, with The Holls Collective
2016 Video presentation,’Value Added #1’, De Pletterij, Haarlem.
2016 The Survivors, The Hague Peace Project, www.thehaguepeaceprojects.com, video installation split screen, exhibition in Gemeentehuis Den Haag
2016 Contemporary Rotterdam Art Fair, Nieuwe Vide presents Studio artists.
2015 Participation at Showroom Mama - MAMA’s X-MAS CRIB - Welcome to the jingle! , Rotterdam
2015 Solo exhibition during ‘20 years of deferred value’ at Nieuwe Vide Artspace, opening nov 28, with a performance by ‘t Vlaggenschip and an overview of my works.
2015 VALUE ADDED#2, video shown at A.I.R. Retrospective Show, Surface Arts residency, group exhibition at Rumpueng Artspace, Chiang Mai, October 23th.
2015 Johan, The Holls collective, exhibiting at KABK, October 30th. More info www.kabk.nl , Den Haag
2015 ACAB : All cops are bastards / Autotune compensates any bullshit , installation with sound, 2015, shown on 12th of september at exhibition
‘The hills are alive with the sound of Muzak’ at Nieuwe Vide, Artspace, Haarlem
2015 Residency program/exhibition at Surface Arts, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Exhibition October 23th , Artspace Rumpueng Chiang Mai.
Presentation and interview together with Docus van der Made and a one day exhibition at Artspace 37PK during Haarlem Cultuur/Stad als Podium on September 13th.
2015 BAVO BABY, group exhibition, curated by Marianne Hotske Hamersma. Exhibition together with 10 artists from the Netherlands and Belgium.